Men’s Health Week at Brendoncare is seeking to raise awareness of the health issues that affect men disproportionately.
By focusing on getting men across our organisation, from care staff to office staff, volunteers and beyond, to becoming more aware of health problems they may have or could develop, we hope to encourage them to start talking about it.
Research carried out by the Men’s Health Forum in 2019 revealed that a man with a waist size of 37 inches or above is at increased of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. In terms of exercise, men should try to complete 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week. And to maintain a healthy diet, men should try to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day.
What is Men’s Health Week?
Each year Men’s Health Week takes on a different theme. This year, it’s the ‘CAN DO’ Challenge, based on the five ways to wellbeing. These are five scientifically proven things that we can all do to help us feel better.
The five ways are:
- Connect – connect with other people (e.g. call an old friend you haven’t since before lockdown) #connectmonday
- (Be) Active – move your body (eg. go for a run/walk/swim/dance/etc) #activetuesday
- Notice – take notice of the environment around you (e.g. turn off your phone for an hour) #noticewednesday
- Discover – learn something new (e.g. read a book you haven’t read before) #discoverthursday
- Offer (or give) – do something for someone else (e.g. volunteer for a local community group) #offerfriday
By taking a proactive approach, we can help open the doors to conversations, the lack of which can sometimes prevent people from acknowledging the opportunity for positive change.
Men’s Health Week runs from June 14-20th 2021 with links to a range of support for individuals and businesses available from their website.
As part of our ongoing commitment to wellbeing, Brendoncare’s employee assistance programme (EAP) is available to all Brendoncare staff members and volunteers in association with BUPA. This free and comprehensive service is available 24/7, 365 days a year, providing confidential advice, support and counselling services.
This level of help is just one of the benefits of working for Brendoncare. Interested in joining our team?