Ten things to do this Christmas
Date: 23rd November 2018
This month, we’ve compiled a list of activities across Hampshire and Dorset for older people to do during the Christmas season.
1. Take a trip back in time with a nostalgic trip on the Purbeck line, courtesy of the award-winning Swanage steam railway.
2. Visit your local Christmas market. Winchester Cathedral's Christmas market is recognised as one of the best Christmas markets in Europe. Open now until Thursday 20th December.
3. Attend a carol concert at your local church. The Christmas Celebration concert at St Aldhelm’s Church in Branksome, in aid of Brendoncare, is held during the ‘Shining Branches’ Christmas tree festival in December.
4. Visit the Christmas decorations and lights display at Brambridge Garden Centre, followed by a mince pie and a hot cup of something.
5. Beaulieu offers something for everyone this Christmas. During the day, experience a Victorian Christmas and after dark, experience the new magical illuminated trail around the glistening gardens and the shimmering buildings.
6. Bournemouth German market offers festive food and drink, local crafts and some Christmas produce to get you in the spirit.
7. Enjoy a jaunt on the Watercress line. Transport back to the 1940s and experience ‘Christmas Leave’ on 26th & 27th December.
8. Why not visit Stewart’s garden centre Christmas shop and café in Wimborne or Christchurch. Journey through Santa’s Winter Wonderland with the little ones and see some real reindeer!
9. Enjoy a free film. The Everyman Theatre in Winchester is offering free cinema screenings for older people and their companions/carers. Organised by Home Instead, call 01962 736681 for more information.
10. If the weather’s a bit nippy and you’d rather stay indoors, you could always snuggle up at home with your favourite tipple and Christmas film #ItsAWonderfulLife.