Fundraising for Otterbourne Hill
Shared Care at Otterbourne Hill
“One of the greatest challenges of our time is what I’d call the quiet crisis, one that steals lives and tears at the hearts of families, but that - relative to its impact - is hardly acknowledged.”
David Cameron, former Prime Minister
Dementia National Strategy Conference 2012
At Brendoncare, we are passionate about improving the lives of people affected by dementia. We are championing the fight to enable couples affected by the disease to remain living together with all the care and support they need.
Otterbourne Hill will be a pioneering dementia service, unique in the UK, in that it supports people living with dementia and their carers throughout their entire journey. It will support those with dementia and their partners to live meaningful, independent and fulfilled lives, from diagnosis for as long as is needed.
Help Otterbourne Hill become a reality
We need to raise £2 million in order to create Otterbourne Hill and improve the lives of couples affected by dementia.
Join our campaign and make a direct difference to those affected by dementia through this transformational service and help to inspire a new model of dementia care across the UK.
We are so excited to have now reached £1.8 million towards our target of £2 million.
We are now fundraising for the final £200,000 we need to make this project a reality. Please donate now to support Otterbourne Hill and people living with dementia.
We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported the Otterbourne Hill campaign so far.
Thanks to your generosity, we are so much closer to making Otterbourne Hill a reality and transforming the lives of couples affected by dementia in the Winchester area and further afield.
We are very proud to be offering this pioneering model of dementia care to improve the quality of life of people living with dementia and we could not have done it without you.
To find out more information about supporting the Otterbourne Hill campaign please email us or call Victoria Smith on 01962 852133.
About Shared Care
In order to support those affected by dementia throughout their entire journey with the disease, Otterbourne Hill will provide three vital services under one roof that provide different levels of care and support:
- A thriving community hub: Residents and people from the local community alike will have fun, make friends and enjoy a wide range of stimulating activities and opportunities at our dementia-friendly community hub. Whether its challenging friends to a game of bowls on the bowling green, visiting the vintage café or the inside winter garden, relaxing with a loved one in the library or taking part in one of our many dementia-friendly clubs, visitors will truly play an important part in this lively dementia-friendly community.
- Shared Care apartments: For couples needing some support and help, but wishing to remain living together, these will provide a lifeline. The one and two bedroom apartments will enable couples to continue living independently as much as they want, with the peace of mind that they can receive the care, support and respite they need - as and when they need it.
- Dementia-friendly care home: Providing expert dementia, nursing and end-of-life care, this 64 bedroom care home will care for those with dementia and other health needs. Continuing to keep couples together, those living in the apartments benefit from not needing to move off-site if their dementia care needs increase, enabling them to remain living under the same roof. The care home will also offer desperately needed respite options for Otterbourne Hill residents and people living in the local community.
We believe Otterbourne Hill will be pioneering in the UK for providing extensive support under one roof, catering for people affected by dementia throughout their journey - from diagnosis through to comprehensive dementia care. People living in the community and those residing at Otterbourne Hill will all play an important part in this dementia-friendly community - creating a service that responds in a personal, flexible and caring way to their changing needs.
Living with Dementia
Dementia is a frightening and difficult journey that unfortunately so many people have to experience. It can dramatically change someone’s way of life and their relationships with those closest to them. It can be particularly upsetting and demanding for loved ones, especially those who take on the role of unofficial carer.
Clive Wright has been married to his wife, Joy, for 57 years. Joy was a lecturer in Art History who now has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Clive says she has suffered a rapid decline.
“The most dispiriting thing is that there is nothing I or anyone else can do to make it better. I’ve spent most of my life solving problems, but this is one problem I can’t solve.”
Join us to transform the lives of families facing dementia
Brendoncare is extremely grateful to our very generous GroundBreakers Club members, passionate individuals who have made a real and lasting difference to those living with dementia by supporting the Otterbourne Hill campaign.
The GroundBreakers Club recognises those able to support the project in a significant way, with three levels of membership:
- Gold £25,000
- Silver £10,000
- Bronze £5,000
For any further information, please contact Victoria Smith on 01962 857092 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Otterbourne Hill literature
If you would like to find out more about Otterbourne Hill and the impact it will have for people with dementia, please find below some useful literature.
- Otterbourne Hill brochure
- GroundBreakers leaflet
- Connect: Countess Ground Breaking Ceremony
- Care Home Floor Plans
- Apartment Floor Plans
- Supporter Tree pledge card
If you have any questions, or would like to discuss the project in greater detail, please don’t hesitate to contact Victoria Smith, Fundraising Manager on 01962 852133 or email@example.com.