Brendoncare Alton has been specifically designed to enable older people to live independent, happy and fulfilling lives. Set in landscaped gardens, the care complex was opened in 1997 and is proud to offer the full spectrum of care on one site.
The close care complex consists of 46 apartments where older people can live independently with access to the home for practical, personal and nursing support when necessary.
The nursing home, Brendoncare Alton, is divided into self-contained households to give the home-like atmosphere of small family units. The home consists of four 15 bedroom households and one with 20 bedrooms. Each household has a spacious, welcoming sitting and dining room and a small kitchen. All the bedrooms have en-suite facilities, a TV point, private telephone line and a nurse-call system.
Meals are provided from a central, well-equipped kitchen under the direction of the head chef. There is also a licensed restaurant where residents can entertain their families and friends. Residents are encouraged to be as active as they wish and the home includes a hairdressing salon, a shop and a wide selection of books. There are two lifts.
The home enjoys close links with the local community of Alton and is supported by an activities team, as well as 20 volunteers.
Led by a highly qualified manager, who is supported by a head of care with considerable nursing experience, the staff at Alton work as a close team and are committed to the Brendoncare philosophy. They make every effort to provide care which promotes privacy and dignity, and to understand each resident’s needs and preferences. Registered nurses are always on duty supported by trained care assistants, and all the staff receive continuous education and development.
Close Care (Mary Rose Mews)
The Mary Rose Mews complex is a purpose built retirement development of 46 leasehold one and two bedroom apartments set in the delightful mature grounds of the Brendoncare care home on the outskirts of Alton, based around a landscaped central courtyard.
Close Care offers many advantages over traditional sheltered housing schemes and has become a very popular accommodation choice among people in their retirement years because of its unique combination of advantages. Older people may continue to live in their own homes and take part in the mainstream of life despite failing health or compromised independence. They receive personal care and support services if and when they need it, and have the security of knowing that qualified assistance is on hand 24 hours a day at the press of a button.
Brendoncare Alton caters for single residents and couples and following an initial assessment can cater for residents with mild dementia if living with a partner. Should one or other of you require full-time care, this can be provided within the same complex. This allows a couple with differing care needs to reside close by. The nursing home also offers short respite stays following illness or after discharge from hospital.
Independence with Care
Living within the Mary Rose Mews community in your own home you can be totally independent, while enjoying these extra services from the nursing home, all covered within the annual service charge:
- Your home linked by an alarm system to the nursing home with emergency calls being answered 24 hours a day by a dedicated ‘Close Care’ team of friendly, familiar staff
- Day to day maintenance of the buildings
- Repairs to the inside and outside of your home (excluding internal decorations)
- Insurance of the buildings
- Exterior window cleaning
- A fund for future maintenance e.g. exterior painting
- Maintenance of the garden and grounds
- The use of a communal room for gatherings.
Extra care when you need it
Although no personal or nursing service is provided for in the annual charge, you will receive appropriate care in an emergency. You may arrange for Brendoncare to provide extra services at an additional charge such as:
- A midday meal in the restaurant or delivered to your apartment
- Laundry service provided by our on-site laundry
- On-site facilities such as hairdressing and a small shop
- Prescription delivery service
- Personal care such as washing, dressing, meal preparation, assisted bathing/showering
- Other support services such as shopping, cleaning and escorts to the GP surgery or for hospital appointments
- Access to other services such as chiropody and activities.
Close Care is managed by our fully qualified Domiciliary Services Supervisor Natalie O'Toole, supported by a dedicated team of trained care staff. Natalie is available by calling 01420 549797 or click here to email.
If you would like to know more about Close Care at Brendoncare Alton, please contact us so that we may send you further information or arrange a visit, or click here to download a brochure.
Specialist Dementia Household
People with dementia are cared for in these two dedicated households (1 x 15 bedrooms, 1 x 20 bedrooms) by a team of highly trained and committed staff. Brendoncare knows the high level of support needed in caring for this very special group of people, and the staff are dedicated to improving the quality of life for those in their care.
Staff are trained to recognise and care for physical and psychological illness, and call at the right time upon the services of other health professionals. The household offers an environment that is dignified, safe and secure. It is calm, clean and clearly set out. Within a community setting, each resident has their own en-suite room in a bright yet calm and relaxing community atmosphere. All staff support this community, and are committed to building close relationships with residents, gaining a deep understanding of their individual health and social needs. There is an attractive, secluded garden designated especially for residents with dementia.
Accepting outside help in caring for a close friend or cherished family member is an enormous step. If you are ready to take that step, rest assured that the support, care and understanding of the staff at Brendoncare Alton will help make the move easier.
If you would like to know more about the work of Brendoncare Alton’s dementia household, please contact us so that we may send you further information or arrange a visit.
Brendoncare Alton Customer Service Promise
Brendoncare Alton is the first Brendoncare care home and one of a very limited number of homes in the UK to have achieved Hospitality Assured Accreditation for food and customer service.
Our promises to our residents are:
- To ensure that ‘your choice’ drives ‘our service’ during your stay at Brendoncare Alton
- That we will always greet you with a smile
- To deliver professional, efficient and high quality services that meet residents’ needs while producing a ‘homely’ relaxed atmosphere
- For you to live in the knowledge that, even in the event of illness or financial hardship you will never have to move from the comfort of your friends or familiar surroundings
- To be honest and open, taking responsibility for our actions
- To use customer feedback, comments and complaints to help us improve our services in the future
- To enjoy life among kindred spirits in an atmosphere of kindness and understanding
- To make each and every resident feel special
- To be cared for with dignity and respect by people who appreciate their need for privacy, individuality and freedom of choice
- For you to control your life as much as possible
- To provide 24/7 nursing care to you with staff never more than a few minutes away
- To fill your day with your choice of activities that may help to be mentally, socially, spiritually, physically and emotionally stimulated
- To ensure that our home is hygienically clean in all areas and is a safe environment
- That our staff are trained to above the required standard in as many areas as we possibly can.
Our standards of service:
Our residents, relatives and visitors will experience that we will endeavour to:
- Greet you in a polite and friendly manner
- Keep customer wait times to a minimum and advise you of any delay
- Keep your details confidential at all times
- Treat all residents and visitors with dignity and respect
- Deal with minor complaints in a positive timely manner
- Deal with your enquiry within 24 hours.
When you call us by phone, we will:
- Answer your call as quickly as possible, and within five rings if you are calling via our switchboard
- Ask you if you want to speak to someone else, or leave a message, if the person you are calling is not available
- Answer your call in a polite and professional manner.
When you write to us or send us an email, we will:
- Confirm we have received your letter or email within 5 working days and aim to reply in full within 10 working days
- Explain why it will take longer, if we cannot reply in full in 10 working days
- Reply in plain, jargon-free English
- Deal with complaints in a positive timely manner, in line with our written complaints procedure.
When you dine with us:
- We will provide menus that are creatively designed to provide a selection of ‘home cooked’ hot and cold seasonal food with healthy eating options
- We will ensure that food is served at the correct temperature, on time and to a standard that pleases your palate
- Your food will be specifically prepared to take into account your dietary and health requirements
- There will be a minimum of three choices for lunch and supper and should these not stimulate your palate we will endeavor to provide you with a meal of your choice
- The menu cycle for the home will be set over a five week rolling cycle which will run for a period of three months (seasonal) and then will be changed
- We aim to provide residents with a light snack during the evening/night if required
- There is an unlimited access to a selection of hot and cold beverages provided at specified times during the day and on request. Hot drinks will be served at a temperature appropriate to the individual’s requirements.
- As a matter of policy we do not knowingly purchase any food or beverages which contain genetically modified ingredients
- We promise that the daily feedback received from all residents goes towards providing valuable information to help us improve our service.
When you live with us we will ensure that your accommodation needs are met:
- We will assist you in personalising your room by decorating it in a colour of your choice from our colour swatch
- Your room will be cleaned every day by a member of our team who will be mindful that this is your home and that it is they who are visiting
- We will ensure your room is well maintained and that you are able to individually control the temperature of your room
- We will wash and iron your laundry and ensure your room feels ‘fresh’ at all times
- We will knock before we enter and respect your privacy at all times.
What services are we able to offer:
Taking into consideration our primary business function of care delivery and the associated medical condition that this may bring, we are able to offer the following services to our elderly residents, relatives and visitors:
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) on a monthly basis to monitor the weight of every resident, more frequently if a problem is highlighted.
- Nutritional care planning specific to the individual’s needs, including weight loss and weight gain diets
- Soft, puree and small dice diets to enable residents to consume food safely
- Medical assisted diets such as peg feed and diets specific to health needs such as diabetes
- Diets to cater for religious beliefs
- A personal visit from the chef on admission to discuss your own likes and dislikes and he’ll even pop his head in to see you every now and then to gain continuous feedback
- The option to feedback and record your meal experience to the care staff after every meal
- A five week rotating menu cycle that changes with each season
- The choice to have main meals in your room, in the dining room or in the home’s restaurant
- A full English or continental breakfast
- At lunchtime a choice of two freshly prepared hot meals, and desserts, or a simple snack as an alternative
- For supper the choice of two main items of a simple snack
- Beverages of your choice served as you request them but the tea trolley comes round during late morning and so does the mobile shop
- Home made cakes and biscuits are served during mid afternoon as the tea trolley comes around for the second time
- Just as if you were at living in your own home, light snacks are available at all other times should you wish, including a midnight snack
- Relatives and visitors will always be able to help themselves to tea and coffee from the kitchenettes in the households or have afternoon tea in the restaurant with their relatives
- You can enjoy lunch in our licensed restaurant with your visitors who may join you for a family meal
- We can cater for your special occasions and celebrations in your room, in the dining room or even in the restaurant
- We hold monthly themed events to bring variety to your stay with us
- Residents of the Mary Rose Mews complex may book a table in the restaurant for lunch or we can organise to have their meal sent over to them.
Properties for sale
Brendoncare Alton has a number of properties for sale. Please contact the manager using the email link on the right or call 01420 549797.
Alternatively click here to see current properties for sale.
“N and her husband bought an apartment at Brendoncare in Alton in 2001 and the staff cared for her husband until his death in 2002. N continued to live independently until she had a stroke in February 2014 when, after a brief stay in hospital, she moved across to the nursing home. Whilst moving into a nursing home was a major life event, the fact that she already knew many of the staff and residents made this transition much easier for her. A strong feature for N has been the continuity of care that she has received at Brendoncare and her family feel she is being very well looked after.”
Daughter of resident, July 2015
“My 97-year old Mum has been in Brendoncare, in a nursing wing, for six months now. When a relative asked her last week, on the phone, how she found it, she immediately responded ‘I love it!’. She is happy and contented at Brendoncare, Alton.
“Brendoncare staff work as a happy team. They never forget this is the residents’ home and the residents are at the heart of the work that is done.
“We are extremely fortunate that we were able to secure a room for Mum at Brendoncare, Alton. It’s a wonderful home for her and we are so relieved that she is there.”
Daughter of Brendoncare Alton resident, April 2015
Book a Visit
Experience our care for life for yourself by visiting one of our homes. You will be very welcome
Get in touch
Phone: 01420 549797
Fax: 01420 542897
Email: Click here